The goal of this new quarterly Denver tradition is to showcase new and emerging puppetry works
The fall 2018 Rocky Mountain Puppet Slam was held October 6 at the Diebolt Brewing Company in north Denver. This was the third installment of a new ongoing puppeteering tradition recently launched by Katy Williams, who introduced the concept in a DCPA NewsCenter guest column in March.
A puppet slam is night of curated short-form puppet and object theatre. You might see a comedic hand-puppet piece, a dramatic and moving marionette, a haunting shadow performance or even a human-sized killer robot. You never know. The goal is to showcase new and emerging puppetry works.
The lineup, emceed by Matt Bethune and The Great Contorto, included:
- Julie Talty performing here_kitty
- The Wizard’s Den performing Enlightenment Now
- WYNOT Productions performing Conversations with an American Icon (in this case, a bald eagle)
- Audacious Theatre performing from its stage production of Van Helsing’s Daughter
- Andryn Arithson performing The Oyster and the Pearl
- SLVLC performing Robopera vs. Graviton
- Katy Williams and Erik Fellenstein performing Jack and the Apocalyptic Moon Journey
For information on future puppet slams, go to katywilliamsdesign.com