Whether you want to create cat eyes for your Halloween costume or are just going for that dramatic “look,” DCPA Education Teaching Artist Rachel Kae Taylor has the makeup makeover for you. Joined by her lovely daughter, Maya, Rachel led the NewsCenter through a Cat Eye Tutorial.
1. Start with a clean eyelid and lashes
2. Use a good eye primer from the lashline to the eyebrow
RECOMMENDATION: Jason Wu Beauty, Wu-Prime Eye
3. Gently pat powder on top to set the primer.
RECOMMENDATION: Revlon ColorStay Pressed Powder
4. Create a strong eyebrow using a color that complements your coloring.
RECOMMENDATION: Jason Wu Beauty, Groomed by Mr. Wu
5. Now comes the tricky part — creating the outline of the cat eye.
RECOMMENDATION: Maybelline Master Precise All Day Liner
a. First, take a thin liquid eyeliner and sweep it up toward your brow following the natural curve of your lower lashline. If you need help drawing a straight line, use something small like a business card with a straight edge.
b. Then, draw a line along your upper lashline starting at the inside of your iris and end at the side of your eyelid.
c. Finally, starting from the outer tip of the line you drew in Atep A, curve down and connect at the inside of your iris.
6. Fill in any gaps between the lines with your eyeliner.
TIP: If you make an error, correct it using makeup or baby wipes, which are cheaper and just as gentle on your skin!
7. Apply a smokey-colored eyeshadow using a rounded brush and sweep it along your lashline and toward your eyebrow.
RECOMMENDATION: L’Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow, Sultry Smoke
8. Apply a black eyeshadow in the crease of your eye, which is located where your eye socket ends.
RECOMMENDATION: Urban Decay, Blackout
TIP: Be careful! A little black eyeshadow goes a long way, so shake off the excess before applying.
9. If you like a little glitz with your glam, apply a bit of glitter just beneath your eyebrow and a dab in the corner of your eye.
RECOMMENDATION: colorgram, Milk Bling Shadow
10. Finally, apply fake eyelashes or mascara for the ultimate dramatic effect.
RECOMMENDATION: Thive Causemetics, Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara
TIP: If using fake lashes, use black tinted glue to apply.