The director is Jenny Koons, who just collaborated on Off-Center’s Between Us immersive experiences
The new Blue Man Group national tour, titled Speechless, moves to Denver next month with a familiar face in charge. Visionary Director Jenny Koons recently adapted and created one of the three unique experiences that made up Off-Center’s Between Us. Koons created Deck of Cards, which had a guide interpret audience members’ life journeys in an intimate, one-on-one setting.
Now she’s helming Speechless, a completely new Blue Man Group creation that launches September 24 in Los Angeles and comes to Denver’s Buell Theatre from October 22-27.
Blue Man Group is the world-renowned bald-and-blue trio, now with 27 years of performing experience. Speechless will feature new and original compositions, invented instruments and unexpected situations alongside iconic Blue Man Group moments based in joy, art, music, comedy, social commentary and profound absurdity. This tour aims to leverage Koons’ expertise in dissolving spatial boundaries, and diverse background in theater and activism, to deliver a transformative Blue Man Group experience.
“I’m thrilled to join the Blue Man Group family to undertake this new show,” said Koons. “It is Blue Man Group’s continued commitment to push boundaries, and think bigger and bolder with every new exploration, that excites me most about this opportunity. Speechless will feature material that fosters communal moments, debut the evolution of our tube-based instruments to support all new music and include large-scale audience participation.”
Koons specializes in bringing unique artists together to create cross-disciplinary work that focuses on activism and community. Her most notable piece, The Odyssey Project, was a year-long site-specific performance in 12 public locations across New York City featuring an ensemble of 29 artists. She also was the associate/resident director for Queen of the Night, a circus of intimate sensation) presented by the producers of Sleep No More. She recently staged A Midsummer Night’s Dream with The Public Theater Mobile Unit, The Tempest with The Juilliard School, and Burn All Night with the American Repertory Theatre.
“It is my hope that Speechless will deliver on its name and continue Blue Man Group’s legacy to transcend words and inspire audiences through non-verbal connections,” she said.
By building on the original DNA of Blue Man Group, Speechless will forge a path for future generations of the Blue Man tribe to explore, said Diane Quinn, Chief Creative Officer of Blue Man Group’s parent company, Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group. “To further challenge themes of invention, curiosity and human connection, we are excited to work with our new director, Jenny Koons, whose expertise in dissolving spatial boundaries and diverse background in theater and activism, set the stage for us to deliver a transformative Blue Man Group experience.”
Blue Man Group is a global entertainment phenomenon, known for its award-winning theatrical productions, iconic characters and multiple creative explorations. Blue Man Group performances are euphoric celebrations of human connection through art, music, comedy and non-verbal communication. Since debuting at New York’s Astor Place Theatre in 1991, the live show has expanded to additional domestic residencies in Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas and Orlando, an international residency in Berlin, and multiple North American and World tours, reaching more than 35 million people worldwide. Blue Man Group is universally appealing to a broad range of age groups and cultural backgrounds, and continually injected with new music, fresh stories, custom instruments and sensory stimulating graphics.
Blue Man Group Speechless Tour in Denver: Ticket information
The Blue Men see fun in your future and are here to reignite your digitally-overloaded senses. If you like normal, think again — ‘cause this show is a rollicking, rowdy, rave of a good time. You’ll witness music, laughter, and surprises over and over.
- Director: Jenny Koons
- When: October 22-27
- Where: Buell Theatre
- Age advisory: Family friendly
- Tickets: Available by calling 303-893-4100, in person in the Helen Bonfils Theatre Complex at 14th and Curtis streets or, online by clicking here:
- For more information, visit blueman.com
Blue Man Group: Historical highlights
- Early Beginnings: Blue Man Group performs in small venues around downtown NYC including La MaMa. Their performance at Lincoln Center’s Serious Fun festival garners big attention and leads to interest from Off-Broadway producers.
- November 1991: Blue Man Group opens in New York City at Astor Place Theatre. Presented with an award for Unique Theatrical Experience at the Lucille Lortel Awards and a special citation at the Village Voice OBIE Awards, celebrating excellence in Off-Broadway theater.
- October 1995: Blue Man Group opens in Boston at the Charles Playhouse.
- October 1997: Blue Man Group opens in Chicago at the Briar Street Theatre.
- December 1999: Blue Man Group releases their first album, “Audio,” on Virgin Records.
- March 2000: Blue Man Group: Live at Luxor opens at Luxor Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
- February 2001: Blue Man Group opens the 43rd Annual Grammy Awards in a performance of “Natural Blues” with Moby and Jill Scott. Album Audio is nominated for “Best Pop Instrumental”.
- Summer 2002: Blue Man Group joins Moby’s Area 2 tour and performs at Coachella.
- April 2003: The Complex, Blue Man Group’s second album, releases on Lava Records and features celebrity guest vocalists.
- May-September 2003: The Complex Rock Tour visits 62 cities in the US.
- May 2004: Blue Man Group opens in Berlin at Potsdamer Platz.
- March 2005: “Robots” movie premieres with score collaboration by John Powell and Blue Man Group.
- June 2005: Blue Man Group opens in Toronto at the Panasonic Theatre.
- September 2005: Blue Man Group performs at the “57th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards.”
- November 2005: Blue Man Group collaborates on storyline with Emmy-award winning TV show “Arrested Development.”
- November 2005: Blue Man Group opens in London at the New London Theatre.
- December 2005: Blue Man Group performs for Queen Elizabeth on the nationally televised “Royal Variety Show.”
- June 2006: Blue Man Group performs for the first time with a full symphony, The Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, to honor legendary guitarist Carlos Santana and celebrated pianist Andre Watts.
- September 2006-May 2007: How to Be A Megastar Tour 2.0 visits 104 U.S. cities in 10,000 seat arenas.
- August 2009: Blue Man Group performs at Deaf Olympics in Taiwan.
- June 2010: Blue Man Group performs on the “37th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards” telecast.
- September 2010: Blue Man Group opens first U.S. theatrical tour with updated show content.
- March 2011 and February 2013: Blue Man Group performs at “Carnival” in Brazil.
- April 2011: “20th Anniversary Reunion Show” performance at Astor Place Theater featuring an on-stage performance with Dave Matthews. The Empire State Building turns blue.
- September 2011: Blue Man Group launches six original video shorts in partnership with Nintendo, via its new 3DS platform.
- September 2012: Blue Man Group performs on “America’s Got Talent.”
- October 2012: Blue Man Group performs on “Calderiao do Huck” in Brazil. A new Blue Man Group show opens at the Monte Carlo Resort and Casino in Las Vegas.
- November 2012: Blue Man Group appears on “Ellen”
- July 2013: Blue Man Group opens in Sydney, Australia.
- June 2015: Blue Man Group performs on NBC’s “I Can Do That,” teaching Alan Richson and Joe Jonas to be honorary Blue Men.
- March 2016: Blue Man Group’s first ever World Tour launches in Singapore and continues throughout Asia, the Middle East, New Zealand and Europe.
- April 2016: Launch of Blue Man Group’s third studio album, “THREE.”
- October 2016: Blue Man Group launches first ever book, “Blue Man World.”
- November 2016: Blue Man Group celebrates their 25th anniversary.
- July 2017: Blue Man Group is acquired by Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group.
- August 2018: Blue Man Group launches their first original series, “Blue Man Shorts.”
- October 2018: Blue Man Group appears on ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars.”
- November 2018: Blue Man Group Chicago debuts a new experience for visitors including new content. Launches third leg of its world tour with a stop in Russia – a first for the brand.
- May 2019: Blue Man Group launches their first original documentary series “Becoming Blue.”
- May 2019: Blue Man Group announces the launch of their new Speechless tour officially opening September 2019 in Los Angeles, a first-ever stop for a Blue Man Group theatrical tour.