2017-18 was one of the Denver Center’s best seasons on record with 850,000 tickets distributed
The Denver Center for the Performing Arts has released its 2017-18 Community Report, which shows strong growth in subscribers, attendance and education. The 40-year-old not-for-profit theatre organization generated a $193.4 million economic impact in ticket sales alone.
“Thanks to the incredible investment our community has made in the DCPA, we had one of our best seasons on record,” said President and CEO Janice Sinden. “We welcomed nearly 30,000 subscribers, distributed more than 850,000 tickets and engaged with more than 144,000 students.
“In fiscal year 2017-18, our community generously gave nearly $22 million through donations, support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District and gifts to our capital campaign. I am honored and humbled by the generosity of our community, the loyalty of our patrons and the talent of our staff.”
As the largest resident company in downtown’s Denver Performing Arts Complex, the DCPA encompasses all things theatre: Broadway, Cabaret, Theatre Company, Off-Center, Education and select venue rentals including the Seawell Ballroom. The community’s investment — through patronage, volunteerism and donations — enabled the DCPA to provide:
- 43 productions
- 246 classes
- 2,517 ticket vouchers
- 36,989 student discounts
- 20,588 free and discounted admissions
- Rental space valued at more than $30,000
Key contributors to the DCPA’s success include:
- Highly anticipated engagement of Hamilton and the pre-Broadway debut of Disney’s Frozen
- Launch of Theatre for Young Audiences (theatre for PreK-3rd grade), which welcomed 19,000 children, more than half of whom attended on full or partial scholarship
- Overwhelming success of Theatre Company’s The Who’s Tommy and Off-Center’s The Wild Party held at Stanley Marketplace in Aurora
- Premieres of two co-productions (American Mariachi and The Great Leap), which both immediately transferred to the West Coast
- Record-breaking attendance and proceeds at Saturday Night Alive
To view the year-end results, download the DCPA’s Community Report.