As the culmination to its 2022/23 season, the DCPA Theatre Company is remounting the classic whodunnit, The 39 Steps. This parody of John Buchan’s novel (and the subsequent 1935 film adaptation directed by Alfred Hitchcock) is brought to life by a cast of four playing more than 50 characters. Prepare for the hysterics with this bit of trivia about one of entertainment’s most legendary directors…Alfred Hitchcock.
- What was the title of Alfred Hitchcock’s directorial debut?
- How many decades did his career span?
- In how many of his 50+ films did Hitchcock make a cameo?
- Of his cameos, in how many did he speak?
- What was Alfred Hitchcock otherwise known as?
- Eight years after their debuts, Hitchcock secured rights to five of his signature films and did not make them available for viewing by the public. Name two of the five.
- Which Hitchcock film was the first “talkie” released in Britain in 1929?
- Of his five Oscar nominations for Best Director, how many times did he win?
- Who starred as Richard Hannay in the 1935 film version of The 39 Steps?
- The stage adaptation of The 39 Steps is a parody of the original book and film. The script is full of allusions to other Alfred Hitchcock films. Name two that are alluded to in the play.
- Six (1922-1976)
- One — The Wrong Man
- The Master of Suspense
- The Man Who Knew Too Much, Rear Window, Rope, The Trouble with Harry, Vertigo
- Robert Donat
- North by Northwest, Psycho, Rear Window, Strangers on a Train, Vertigo
The 39 Steps
April 14-June 18, 2023