Allen Dorsey in the 2014 DCPA Theatre Company production of ‘A Christmas Carol.’ Photo by Jennifer M. Koskinen.
MEET ALLEN DORSEY
Dick Wilkins and Christmas Yet to Come in A Christmas Carol
At the DCPA Theatre Company: A Christmas Carol, Lord of the Flies. Other credits include Into the Woods (Jack), Spamalot (Historian/Not Dead Fred), White Christmas (Mike Nulty), The Little Mermaid (Scuttle).
- Hometown: Mount Airy, MD
- Training: American Musical and Dramatic Academy (AMDA), New York
- What was the role that changed your life? Playing Mama Rose in the 2008 revival of Gypsy. Oh wait, that was actually Patti Lupone. … Umm. … Uhh. … Next question please.
- Why are you an actor? Because I didn’t make the Olympic curling team.
- What would you be doing for a career if you weren’t an actor: I would teach yoga in a small town in the middle of the mountains. I would also own a bed-and-breakfast and sell the organic vegetables that I grew in my garden. … Not that I’ve given it any thought.
- Ideal scene partner: Elaine Stritch, because she is both my spirit animal and fashion inspiration.
- Why does A Christmas Carol still matter? My favorite quote from the play is Fred’s line, “But it is the only time I know of, in the whole long year, when we open our hearts freely, and think of the people around us as fellow passengers to the grave, and not some strange race of creatures bound on separate journeys.” I think these words are so relevant when looking at everything happening in our world. It’s very easy to separate yourself and forget that we are all human beings who are all connected, and deserve kindness no matter our social, economic or religious standing. When do we lose sight of this idea? And how can we keep it, not just on the holidays, but every single day?
- What do you hope the audience gets out of it? A new holiday tradition they can share with their friends and family every year.
- Finish this sentence: “All I want is …” another slice of pizza … that I can share with someone in need. … obviously.
This was Allen Dorsey’s video interview for the DCPA NewsCenter before appearing last year in ‘Lord of the Flies.’
A Christmas Carol: Ticket information
Selected previous NewsCenter coverage of A Christmas Carol:
Photos, video: Your first look at A Christmas Carol 2015
Philip Pleasants: A Scrooge for the ages, one last time
First rehearsal: Scrooge, in typical fashion: Let’s get to work!
From Denver Center’s Tiny Tim to TV’s Fuller House
Beginnings and endings for stars of A Christmas Carol, The SantaLand Diaries
Video: Leslie O’Carroll performs A Christmas O’Carroll … in 5 minutes
Actor Scott McLean is now also a published children’s author
Video: The Christmas Carol Coast to Coast Challenge. No. 1: Denver
By the numbers: A Christmas Carol over 22 years at the DCPA
First day of 2014 rehearsal: Interviews, cast list and photos
Previous years’ ‘Meet the Cast’ videos:
James Michael Reilly
Mehry Iris Eslaminia
M. Scott McLean